To obtain a merit badge for Chemistry a scout must be able to pass the following test:
1. Define physical and chemical change. Which occurs when salt is dissolved in water, milk sours, iron rusts, water boils, iron is magnetized and mercuric oxide is heated above the boiling point of mercury?
2. Give correct tests for oxygen, hydrogen, nitrogen, chlorine, and carbon dioxide gases.
3. Could you use the above gases to extinguish fire? How?
4. Why can baking soda be used to put out a small fire?
5. Give tests for a chloride, sulphide, sulphate, nitrate, and carbonate.
6. Give the names of three commercial forms of carbon. Tell how each is made and the purpose for which it is used.
7. What compound is formed when carbon is burned in air?
8. Tell process of making lime and mortar from limestone.
9. Why will fresh plaster harden quicker by burning charcoal in an open vessel near it?